Thursday, November 22, 2012

Non Linear Editing (NLE) systems

Many people today use devices to capture videos, but probably lack knowledge about Non Linear editing systems (NLE ). Understanding these systems will be an important part of learning video production.

Definition.
An NLE system is computer software that lets users edit video in a nondestructive way. Non-destructive editing is a form of editing where the original content is not modified —instead the edits act more like layers in Photoshop, preserving the original content. (Find the source for this from the bottom of the Wikipedia page!). Nowadays, there are many different NLE programs that you can use. These NLE systems can be classified into two groups:
Inexpensive Consumer NLEs

  • Pinnacle Studio
  • Adobe Premiere Elements.
  • Sony Vegas Movie Studio
  • Apple iMovie.
  • Windows Moviemaker.
Advanced NLEs

  • Adobe Premiere Pro.
  • Apple Final Cut Pro.
  • Sony Vegas.
  • Avid Media Composer.

Although, the inexpensive Consumer NLEs are designed to be simple and easy to use, the advanced NLE are more flexible, and as such allow the user to be more creative. In his post “What is the Difference Between Consumer Video Editing Software and 'Real' NLEs”, Matt explains that many consumers have complained that Inexpensive NLEs have many problems, among which are sluggish playbacks when editing longer footage, and sound not syncing well with video.
Training and exercises in this blog will be based on Adobe premiere CS6 editing system. A 30 days free version of this system can be downloaded straight from the adobe website. I prefer this editing system due to the following advantages:
–– flexibility to use multiple file formats.
–– Smooth playback regardless of file formats.
–– Shaky footage stabilization tools –– i.e., Wrap stabilizer.
–– Integration with other software –– i.e. Photoshop, Aftereffects, Media Encoder and many more.



Adobe premiere CS6 system has many more advantages that we will be discussing in future posts. 




9 comments:

  1. You note several editing software but at the end of the day only give a link to more information about Adobe Premiere? While I understand it is one of the best out there, wouldn't the audience be best served for links on lessons for all the software instead of just a singular one? That way while you may not mention them again in your blog, they can still research from your blog post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree DavidL, I chose to provide the link to adobe Premiere since it's an NLE that I will be using in learning process through out my blog. I find it's best for my audience to be familiar with this system as we proceed in our lessons.

      Delete
  2. I recently just bought Adobe Creative Suite standard edition and this makes me wish that I would have bought the premium edition. I am hoping to start the transition to making videos when I go back to school in the spring. I have deleted many things on accident when trying to edit a small video and this seems like a really good alternative. I recently upgraded my ps3 hard drive and I have a psvita so it will be nice to be able to make videos for both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Evan, If you are planning to learn video production Adobe premiere is the best NLE to use.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow what a Great Information about World Day its very nice informative post. thanks for the post. video production Miami

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Information sharing .. I am very happy to read this article .. thanks for giving us go through info.Fantastic nice. I appreciate this post. Fort Lauderdale Video Productions

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep up the good work , I read few posts on this web site and I conceive that your blog is very interesting and has sets of fantastic information. orlando video production

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you very much for writing such an interesting article on this topic. This has really made me think and I hope to read more. Video Production Tampa

    ReplyDelete