Monday, November 26, 2012

File organization and transferring.


Today’s post focuses in file organization process as we prepare for video editing.  Weather you have used one or more devices to capture your great footages, organizing your files will ensure your editing process simple, fast and fun. Also when files are organized in the specific folder you will always be aware of  the location of your media files in case the adobe premiere required it.


File Organisation.
Before you transfer footages to your computer, it’s best to create a project folder with specific name of the project you plan to edit. In this folder, create two or more sub folders with names Media (where footages will be transfer to) and Final (where final completed video will be saved).To demonstrate this, below is a plan of folders organization hierarchy for the video project I am planning to edit which is called “The Dance.The following file organization is for a project that captured using a single device,––i.e., the iPhone. 
  •  MyVideo/The_Dance/Media
                                       /Final

The next file organization is for a project that captured using multiple devices that output different video formats,––i.e., the iPad 3rd generation, iPhone 4, Android Phone. 

        MyVideo/The_Dance/IponeMedia
                                 
/IpadMedia
                                 /
AndroidMedia
                                 /Final

Transfer.
Once I have my entire files organized then the transferring of the footages begins. I’d connect my device using USB cable to a computer. In some device such as Android phones and tablets you can transfer files by removing an SD card and plugging in to a computer with a built-in SD reader or using external card reader. As the device  panel appeared locate the clip files under DCIM folder and drag the video files to the Media project file in your Project files.
Therefore when files are organize helps in making your editing process fast and smooth.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you focused on organization in this post. I know of the first few times when I tried editing a video clip I lost all of my original footage due to overwriting. The lesson learned is that I needed to keep a separate folder for my original work. This happens to many people without realizing that everything they just worked on, is destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed Ben, this way so you will always be aware of where your files are, hence avoiding rewriting or loosing files(Video clips). Incase you happened to transfer your project to another computer for editing, Adobe premiere will ask for the location of your videoclips. I use this technique even if I am arranging or editing photos from my camera as well downloaded.

    ReplyDelete